Infertility Treatment in Bellevue, WA
Infertility refers to the inability to conceive a child. Despite some common misconceptions, infertility can be an issue that affects both men (male infertility and women. Infertility can make conceiving a child a difficult situatuion both mentally and physically.
There are infertility treatment options available. To request an infertility consultation, call (206) 966-4522 or contact Dr. Marina Abrams online.
What is Infertility?
Infertility is defined as the physical inability to conceive a child. In women, there are two benchmarks that constitute an official case of infertility:
- For women 35 and younger, attempting to conceive for 12 months with no successful result.
- For women 35 and older, attempting to conceive for 6 months with no successful results.
Millions of people worldwide struggle with infertility when attempting to start a family. Infertility can stem from issues affecting both men and women, with has any number of potential causes.
Some cases of infertility are caused by men, some by women and others affect both partners simultaneously. The likelihood of each of these issues is roughly equal.
In women, infertility may be caused by:
- Fallopian tube damage
- Ovulation disorders
- Early menopause, perimenopause
- Pelvic damage
- Uterine abnormalities
- Cervical abnormalities
- Thyroid disorder
- Delayed puberty
- Certain medications
In men, infertility may be caused by:
- Low sperm count
- Abnormal sperm production
- Inability for the sperm to reach the egg
- Erectile dysfunction
- Overexposure to a harmful substance, such as radiation and pesticides
Some people struggle with just one of these listed issues, while for others it may be a combination of any of them. Certain factors or choices also put a person or couple at a higher risk for infertility. These include:
- Late age
- Tobacco and alcohol use
- Low weight
- Lack of exercise
- Past history of infertility
- Fertility treatment typically begins with rigorous testing of both partners to determine the root cause of the infertility. After this initial testing, infertility treatment typically begins.
Much like the causes of infertility, the treatment of infertility will vary depending on the root cause of the issue. There are infertility treatment options available for both men and women
Infertility treatment for men includes:
- Certain hormones
- Sperm retrieval
Infertility treatment for women includes:
- Fertility drugs
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI)
The correct method of treatment will vary greatly depending on the root cause of the fertility in question. Another popular method is assisted reproductive technology, also known as ART. Assisted reproductive technology uses advanced methods to help couples conceive. Forms of ART include:
- Sperm injection
- Assisted hatching
- Donor eggs
- Donor sperm
- In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Gestational carriers (surrogate pregnancies)
Request Infertility Information Today
The only way to determine which method of infertility treatment or fertility testing is right for you is to receive a fertility consultation. Request infertility information today: call (206) 966-4522 or contact Dr. Marina Abrams online.
Water's Edge Natural Medicine
Address1000 2nd Ave
Seattle, WA 98104
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm