Tubal Ligation in Garden City, MI
When a woman is finished having children, she may seek a permanent birth control solution. These options provide a way to enjoy sex without the difficulty of daily oral birth control. Tubal ligation is the most popular female sterilization procedure. It is sometimes known as having your “tubes tied.”
Request more information about tubal ligation treatment today: Call (313) 228-3098 or contact West Village OBGYN online.
What is Tubal Ligation?
Tubal ligation, also known as tubal sterilization or tubectomy, is a form of permanent female birth control. Tubal ligation is a surgical procedure used to prevent pregnancy by stopping sperm from reaching the egg.
Tubal ligation is a surgical procedure that may eliminate the need for any other methods of contraception. Tubal ligation is considered permanent, although it can be reversed in certain cases. Because of this, it is only recommended for women who are certain they are finished having children.
Some women have a higher risk factor for tubal ligation and may not be ideal candidates. This can include women who:
- Have had previous abdominal or pelvic surgery
- Are obese or dramatically overweight
- Have diabetes or inflammatory diseases
Tubal ligation is mostly recommended for older women, as very young women risk a higher chance of pregnancy.
How Does Tubal Ligation Work?
Tubal ligation targets the fallopian tubes, the part of the female reproductive system from which the procedure gets its name. These tubes play a key role in sperm traveling to the egg, resulting in a pregnancy.
To prevent this, the tubal ligation procedure seals the fallopian tubes by removing small segments and replacing them with plastic rings or clips. Eventually, the body's natural scar tissue takes over and seals the fallopian tubes.
There are two primary varieties of tubal ligation :
- Laparoscopic tubal ligation: This is the most common tubal ligation procedure. In this form of tubectomy, two small incisions are made and a device known as a laparoscope is inserted to make the necessary adjustments.
- Abdominal tubal ligation: In this type of tubectomy, sometimes known as an open tubal ligation , a larger incision is made on the abdomen and the surgery is performed traditionally. Abdominal tubal ligation is typically done for women who have recently given birth or suffer from pelvic inflammation.
After the surgery is complete, there will be some recovery time. Pain and cramping is to be expected during this period. After a few weeks, regular activity can resume.
Regardless of the method, tubal ligation is considered a permanent procedure. It can be reversed in very rare cases, although this is not always effective.
Request More Information Today
Permanent birth control can provide the ability to enjoy safe sex after childbirth without the use and hormonal issues associated with traditional birth control. Request more information about tubal ligation today: call (313) 228-3098 or contact West Village OBGYN online.
West Village OBGYN
Address22074 Michigan Ave
Dearborn, MI 48124
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm